Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Tuesday 8 September 2015

SPM Biology 15 Variation (Part 2)

SPM Biology 15 Variation (Part 2)

Mutation 

Mutation is a spontaneous change in genetic composition of a cell. It can occur in somatic cells or gametes. 

Mutation is caused by:
  1. Gene Mutation
  2. Chromosomal Mutation
type of mutation
Types of mutations
Gene Mutation
Gene mutation involves changes to the bases in the DNA of one gene. For example:
  • sickle cell anemia (mutation to gene that causes red blood cells to become sickle-shaped).
  • albinism (mutation to gene that control the production of melanin pigment).
  • haemophilia.
gene mutation
Gene mutation
Chromosomal Mutation
Changes in the structure or the number of chromosomes are called chromosomal mutation. Examples of the alterations in the structure of some parts of the chromosome are duplication, deletion, translocation and inversion. Chromosomal mutation can happen during mitosis and meiosis when chromosomes are condensed and pulled apart. It also occurs during crossing over. 
chromosomal mutation
Chromosomal Mutation








Mutagens are the substances that can also cause the mutation or increase the rate of mutation. For instance:
  • x-ray
  • ultraviolet radiation
  • chemical substances such as nitrous acid, formaldehyde, food preservatives, pesticides, drugs and some components in cigarette smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...