Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Friday 4 November 2016

SPM Biology 5 Cell Division (Part 2)

Terminology ( You NEED to KNOW ! )

For this chapter, there are tonnes of scientific terms you need to know…..NO, I have to say: YOU MUST KNOW! now because you will getting confuse after you read through the two types of cell division, mitosis and meiosis. These are some of the important terminologies in this chapter that I prepare for my students. Here you go:

 

Haploid (n) vs Diploid (2n)

Haploid (n)- one copy of genetic material subdivided into chromosomes.
- eg. Gametes (sperm and eggs)
3 nonhomologous chromosomes
Haploid (n)
Diploid (2n)- 2 copies of genetic material subdivided into chromosomes.
- somatic cells
3 pairs of homologous chromosomes
Diploid (2n)

 

Homologous and non-homologous chromosomes

Table below provides simpler explanation about homologous chromosomes. Once you understand what is the meaning of homologous chromosomes, non-homologous chromosomes is just the opposite way of it. Besides that, I also include some diagrams to let you remember better.

homologous chromosomes
Basic information on homologous chromosomes
homologous and nonhomologous chromosomes
Homologous chromosome and non-homologous chromosomes
homologous chromosome
A homologous pair of chromosomes

 

Somatic cells vs Gametes

somatic cells and gametes
Somatic cells and Gametes

I really like to compare all the terms by shorten all the important information in table and bullet form; plus some funny but relevant pictures so that it makes me feel stress-free when studying Biology. How about you? Hopefully this method can help you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...