Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Tuesday 8 November 2016

STPM Biology Biological Molecules (Part 22)

Movement of Substances through Membrane 2

 

Active Transport

  • Active transport = the movement of dissolved ions of molecules across the cell membrane, against the concentration gradient. Energy (ATP) is required.
  • For examples,
    • ions intake by root hairs of a plant.
    • ions intake by sea weeds and algae.
    • potassium ions uptake by red blood cells from blood plasma.
  • Importance of active transport:
    • enables cells to selectively absorb or expel molecules and ions.
    • enables particles to move against the direction of the concentration gradient.
    • allow cells to take in or expel ions or molecules at different rates.
  • Active transport requires both carrier proteins and energy to transport molecules or ions. The mechanism of active transport is shown below:
Active transport
Active transport

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...