Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Sunday 27 November 2016

STPM Biology Structure of Cell and Organelle (Part 13)

Microtubules


Distribution:

  • Found all over the cytoplasm of cells.
  • For examples: cilia, flagella and centrioles.


Structure:

  • Microtubules are tiny tubules composed of tubulin protein.
  • The length of the microtubule varies. Its diameter is about 25nm; the diameter of the lumen is about 15nm.
  • Microtubules can break and reassemble.
    Animal cell micrograph
    Animal cell micrograph

Functions:

  • Involved in cell division. Spindles are microtubules attached to chromosome during cell division.
  • Microtubules in cytoplasm are vital in intracellular transportation. These microtubules contracts and relaxes continuously to move vesicles and organelles.
  • Microtubules are cross-linked with microfilaments to form the cytoskeleton. This cytoskeleton provides mechanical support for the cell; it also determines the shape of the cell.
  • Microtubules are main components of cilia and flagella. This shows that microtubule plays a part in movement of organisms or cells with cilia or flagella.
  • Involved in formation of plant cell walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...