Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Sunday 20 November 2016

STPM Biology Structure of Cell and Organelle (Part 7)

Golgi Bodies / Golgi Apparatus


Distribution:

  • Found mostly in glandular cells, secretory cells (like pancreatic cells) and liver cells.
  • It is also found in plant cells, especially younger cells.
  • It is randomly distributed in cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells.
    Golgi Bodies
    Golgi Bodies

Structure:

  • Golgi bodies is a stack of flattened sacs.
  • This organelle is bounded by a membrane.
  • Vesicles (small sacs) are always forming on the outside surface of the Golgi bodies.
  • The content of Golgi bodies include carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, lipoprotein, glycoprotein, glycolipid, steroids, enzymes, cholesterol and others.


Functions:

  • Stores and processes proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates.
  • Helps in the secretion of cell products.
  • Golgi bodies serve as an intracellular transport. Golgi bodies collects, packages, and distributes synthesized substances from one part of the cell to another.
  • Formation of lysosomes. Hydrolytic enzymes synthesized by ribosomes of RER are transported to Golgi bodies to be packaged into lysosomes.
  • Protect and extend plasma membrane. Secretory vesicles from Golgi bodies fuse with the plasma membrane and extends the membrane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...