Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Wednesday 9 November 2016

STPM Biology Biological Molecules (Part 23)

Movement of Substances through Membrane 3


Endocytosis and Exocytosis

Moving bulk quantities of large ions or molecules through cell membrane is done using endocytosis and exocytosis. Macromolecules and large particles are taken into the cell by endocytosis and discarded through exocytosis.

Endocytosis and exocytosis


Endocytosis

  • endocytosis = the uptake of substances into cell through invagination of the plasma membrane.
  • if the substance taken in is a solid, the endocytosis is called phagocytosis
  • Phagocytosis is the uptake of solid substances into cell through the invagination of the plasma membrane.
  • example of phagocytosis in living cells:
    • Amoeba engulfing of food particles.
    • White blood cells engulfing bacterium.
  • If the substance taken in is a liquid, the endocytosis is called pinocytosis
  • Pinocytosis is the uptake of liquid by cells through the invagination of the plasma membrane.

phagocytosis and pinocytosis
Phagocytosis and pinocytosis

The importance of endocytosis:

1. endocytosis allows cell to take in large particles and macromolecules.
2. endocytosis enable bulk transport of macromolecules.
3. enable cells to take in specific molecules.

Here I will just explain the part of endocytosis. You know why? Exocytosis is just an opposite process of endocytosis….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...