Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Saturday 26 November 2016

STPM Biology Structure of Cell and Organelle (Part 12)

Chloroplast of higher plants


Distribution:

  • Generally found in all photosynthesizing cells of higher plants.
  • Abundant in mesophyll cells, especially palisade mesophyll cells.


Structure:

  • Chloroplast exists in various shapes. The common shape is lense shape.
  • General size: 5μm (width); 8-10μm (length).
  • The fluid matrix of chloroplast is called stroma. The main structure embedded in the stroma are grana (singular = granum) and intergranal lamellae.
  • Granum is a stack of thylakoids. A typical chloroplast contains about 40 to 60 grana.
  • Neighboring grana are linked by intergranal lamellae.
  • Chlorophyll molecules are embedded in thylakoid membranes in groups called photosystems. A photosystem usually consists of about 300 chlorophyll molecules.
  • Also embedded in the thylakoid are ATPase enzymes that catalyze ATP synthesis during photosynthesis.
  • Stroma also contains starch granules (temporary storage only), DNA, lipid globules and ribosome (70S) and enzymes catalyzing dark reactions.
    Structure of Chloroplast
    Structure of Chloroplast


Functions:

  • Carry out photosynthesis.
  • Temporary storage site for photosynthesis products such as starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...