Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Saturday 26 November 2016

STPM Biology Structure of Cell and Organelle (Part 16)

Cilia and Flagella


Distribution:

Cilia:

  • On protozoa (eg. Paramecium, Vorticella and Stentor)
  • Respiratory tract (eg. trachea)
  • Oviductus.

Flagella:

  • On algae, a number of protozoa (eg. Euglena and Chlamydomonas) and a number of bacteria.
  • Spermatozoa.


Structure:

  • Cilium (plural: cilia) is a short, fine strand of hair, about 10μm long and 200nm in diameter.
  • Flagellum (plural: flagella) is a long and fine strand of hair. Length: 10-150μm; Diameter: ~200nm.
  • Cilia and flagella contain nine pairs of microtubules that are arranged in a ring around two central microtubules. Thus cilia and flagella are said to have a ‘9+2’ microtubule arrangement.
  • Radial spokes connect the microtubule pair at the center to the peripheral microtubules.
  • Each peripheral pair of microtubule has a pair of dinein arms.
  • At the base of cilium and flagellum is the basal body. Basal body has a structure similar to the centriole. Basal body has a ‘9+0’ microtubule arrangement.
  • On the outside of cilia and flagella is the plasma membrane.
Cilia and flagella structure
Cilia and flagella structure

Functions:

  • Cilia and flagella are for locomotion by protozoa.
  • Cilia in the oviductus help to move ovum down the tube.
  • Cilia on the lining of respiratory tracts trap particles.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...