Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Friday 18 November 2016

STPM Biology Structure of Cell and Organelle (Part 5)

Endoplasmic reticulum


Distribution:

  • Rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER) are usually attached to the nucleus. Smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER) are dispersed in the cytoplasm.
  • Found in abundance in liver cells (detoxification center), pancreatic cells (secretes enzymes) and brain cells.
    endoplasmic reticulum
    RER, SER and Ribosomes


Structure:

  • Endoplasmic reticulum is a network of flattened sacs and tubules. Endoplasmic reticulum is surrounded by a membrane.
  • Rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER) is the network of flattened sacs bounded by a membrane. Robosomes are found on the surface of RER.
  • Smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER) is a network of tubules. No ribosomes are present.
  • Endoplasmic reticulum is filled with fluid. This fluid contains carbohydrates, protein, lipids, cholesterols and steroids.


Functions:

  • Smooth endoplasmic retiulum (SER) synthesizes, secretes and stores lipid, steroids, choloesterols and carbohydrates.
  • SER is a main site for detoxification substances in cells, especially liver cells. Enzymes in SER catalyze the break down of a variety of poisons and toxic compounds.
  • Ribosomes on the rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER) manufacture proteins and enzymes.
  • Both endoplasmic reticulum also serve as an intracellular transport system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...