Memo to readers

Hi everyone. Thank you for supporting me throughout the years. I so sorry that I did not update my blogs for several years due to some major events happened in my life. I will start transfer all the contents to a whole new blog called Student Study Notes.

I hope you will support me continuously and subscribe, follow my new blog Student Study Notes. This will motivate me to create quality contents to benefit every one of us. Thank you!


4th Feb 2021

Thursday 17 November 2016

STPM Biology Structure of Cell and Organelle (Part 4)

Nucleus


Distribution:


Found in all cells except:
Structure of nucleus
Structure of nucleus
  • Prokaryotic cells (bacteria and blue-green algae)
  • Red blood cells of mammals
  • Matured sieve tube elements (part of the floem)


Structure:

  • Shape: Usually spherical or oval.
  • Size: Nucleus is the largest cell organelle.
  • Nucleus is surrounded by a double membrane. This membrane is perforated by nuclear pores. These pores control exchange of materials between the nucleus and cytoplasm.
  • The matrix of the nucleus is called nucleoplasm. Nucleoplasm contains chromatin, ions, proteins, nucleotides, enzymes and ribosomes. Chromosomes visible during cell division. Chromosome are made of chromatin and histone proteins.
  • Nucleus also contains one or more nucleoli.


Functions of nucleus:

  • Nucleus is the control center for most of the activities in cells.
  • Serve as a container for chromosomes.
  • Nucleolus manufactures ribosomes.
  • Produces DNA and RNA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...